Sunday, February 6, 2011

Philly Comb Back, Full Circle

Here's the aforementioned chairs that really got me thinking that I wanted to build Windsors.  It is based squarely on one that Curtis Buchanan builds.  I changed the legs a little, and omitted the brace spindles, but kept the built-up arm ( which looks awesome), the shield seat and the Philly turnings for the legs.  I also made the arm posts extra long, I think it looks better, plus I wanted the arms higher.

The finish is black milk paint layered over barn red with a base of conifer green.   I only have one coat of oil on it so far;  I'll put on two or three more.  This shot shows the knuckles, I can't wait for the black paint to wear thru to the red and then green, should look pretty cool.

Bird's eye view.  Lately I have doing the pommel a little different, moving it from a single point to a ridge running down the middle, it looks nice on the shield seats and bifurcates the seat.  Also the seat front comes to a point, like a bow,  that adds visual interest to the front. 

I think it's a solid rendition, but I also wanted to be ready to do it.  I didn't want to buy the legs, use dowels for the spindles, etc..  I didn't want some half-ass attempt--I wanted to be able to copy it, but more than that I wanted to make it my own.  So I guess you could say that after six years of building. I've come full circle.  I'm really happy with the results,  a very gratifying milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment