Monday, March 28, 2011

Sugar Shack

The Steam Man, actually this is the guy running the evaporators at a sugar shack we all went to this past weekend.  It's the Salmon Brook Valley in Perham,  just outside Caribou.  One weekend a year they have pancakes and beans, and of course fresh maple syrup!
This shows the business end, where the firewood goes to boil the sap down.  This operation was all business, 3200 taps, vacuum system, a reverse osmosis separator, and two big evaporators.  I would have gotten better pics, but there was so much steam it was hard.   The steam smells like syrup, which is a good thing.

Doors open,

Top side.  I think the valve right there is where the finished syrup comes out.


  The sap runs about 40 gallons to one gallon of syrup, so lots of steam!
Is that a camera? 

Words you never want to say to me,  "all you can eat pancakes with real maple syrup!"  Boy these were good, the service was great, and the people were super, super nice.  They had this maple butter that was unreal, plus maple ice cream

All done, can't wait til next year!  That's Salmon Brook Valley in Perham, really nice people.  Check it out if your local.  I noticed a piece of curly maple in the firewood pile, and they let me take it home.  I'll post the candlesticks when I get them done.  Good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment