Sunday, April 10, 2011

Maple ( Walnut ) Ice Cream



 Well, the sap is about over.  It was a weird year, I got a little more syrup than last year, about 2 1/2 gallons, but the sap never really seemed to run all that well.  Good, but not great.  But the sugar content was high, I ran a couple batched that were 24 gallons to one, which is really high.  Less sap, more sugar, all worked out in the end.  And the end is here, pulled the taps yesterday and cooking the last batch as I type.  You can see here how the syrup gets darker as the season progresses.  If you can, get to the sugar shack as early as you can, or ask for early syrup, there is a difference.



 One thing we did last year, and believe me it will happen every year, is make maple walnut ice cream.  Boy is it good.  Cat is making it up right here...



What's the key?  Well, I'll tell ya..



Wet walnuts!



Walnuts tossed with maple syrup...

 Here's where the magic happens, an electric ice cream maker.   Works a lot better than the hand crank one we used when I was a kid.  I always thought that was the best ice cream, but this maple walnut is the best!

 Before....


 After!

No comments:

Post a Comment