Saturday, September 3, 2011

More of a Good Thing


 Here are some pictures of another rocking chair.  This one is pretty much a shield seat Comb Back, much like the Philly Comb Back.  The rockers are actually the ones that began life as the rockers for the other rocker.  I mis-measured the rockers for that rocker but they fit great for this one.



 I like the other chair, the Heirloom Rocker but the turnings on this one are really nice and make for a more classic looking rocker.  The finish is black on red with only one thin coat of black.  I wanted more red to come thru and while this happens when the sun hits it, it really looks like a reddish brown, which is really pretty.





 I don't really consider myself a great carver, but these knuckles came out nice.  One admission, I use a rasp and file and a scraper more than I care to admit, but I remember a quote from Sam Maloof who said I use whatever tool is the best, be it a chisel or my teeth.  This is essentially my theory on tools.




In some ways the rocker is easier to leg up than a regular chair, and I think a lot easier than a box stretcher chair, that is to say one with four rungs like my rodbacks.  I drill and ream the holes, insert the legs and then mark where the rockers will land using a 1/2" thick plywood pattern.  I then clamp the leg upright and use a router and a 1/2" bit to cut the slots.  It fits great and is much more accurate then a handsaw and chisel.  Another example of the best tool for the job.




 This is a tricky cut (the pic on the right) to make but it really does add a lot to the ears.  It thins them so they are the same thickness top to bottom and also give a nice shadow line on the back.  On the left you see the volute.  One thing I try to do is have the point on the horn point back towards to the chair.  Subtle but it does make a difference.



I was happy with the way this chair came out, it is really comfortable.  The back spindles flex and the crest supports your head perfectly.  A great chair to rock a baby...the only problem is staying awake!  At the show in Rockland a few weeks back, people seemed surprised at how comfortable they are, several people commented that oh, they are comfortable for a wooden chair.  I received several orders, which is the best part. 

2 comments:

  1. This is one beautiful chair. I love the turnings and your carving really looks great. Nice finish too. I really want to learn how to make these. This and the sack back are my two favorite windsor styles. Unfortunately, no windsor chair classes very close to me. Oh well, one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot. It took me a long time to learn to turn and the carving also took awhile. As to the styles, I think the sack back is the most comfortable, the one on my site and on my Etsy site I just love. I've been playing with the design for awhile and it's finally there. Whenever you want to take a class let me know.

    ReplyDelete