Monday, February 13, 2012

Vineyard Table Part 4

It is not hard to compose, but what is fabulously hard
is to leave the superfluous notes under the table.

Johannes Brahms



Here is a better look at the pivot pin for the Vineyard table.  The table is pretty ingenious, considering the...well I won't go there.  Suffice to say it's continental.  Two people will get that that I know of.  Anyway, the top pivots on this pin and cleat assembly.  The table, when it is laid open to hold fruit and spirits, is held up by a harp that supports the table but then can be folded out of the way to allow the top to tip down. 


Here you can  see that I indeed had to recut the harp crossbar which was no big deal, as cold as it has been here lately I welcomed the extra firewood.  In Van Buren, not too far north, it was -26 F, and with the the windchill is was -50 or so.  Coooolllllddddd. 


The only tricky part about recutting was I had to establish straight lines for the shoulders to butt up against.  Below you can see the bump...it would be next to impossible to get that shoulder to fall right.  I marked them out at 7 degrees and cut then free hand on a cut off sled.  And then I cut the half lap on the table saw at the matching angle and viola!, it fit.



And here is the harp.  I guess it looks like a harp, sort of.  It pivots on two dowels and in the below position hold the table up. 



Below you can see the table top starting to get glued up into one panel.  The top consisted of six indivual boards, so I ( being cautious by nature) glue two boards together, then two more.  Then I break down the clamps and scrape off the glue.  Eventually I have three panels each composed of two individual pieces.  Then I glue one "two board" panel to another "two board" panel and end up with a four board panel and a two board panel.  One more glue up and its done.  This sounds like a lot of work but the whole point is that I only have to deal with one glue line at a time, which greatly reduces the work in the long run.  Trust me on this one.  Below you can see the two board panel becoming a four board panel.  Another thing is once you put the glue on ( I use PVA carpenters) for an edge glue, let it sit for a few minutes to soak in.


Here's a better shot of that sad little Windsor that live in my shop.  It does have a nice seat shape, it's called a shovel seat.




Note:  I am trying to transtion from a Mac to a PC and while BlogSpot is essentially the same, the picture upload and edit is different, so bear with me. I had more pics of the table top glue up that I deleted.  Mon Dieu!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment