Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cutting Coves, sort of


I'm bad and I'm going to hell, and I don't care. I'd rather be in hell than anywhere where you are. ”
William Faulkner








Here are two chairs I just finished up and took to the Gallery at Frenchman's Bay.  I have nothing but the highest respect for Curtis Buchanan and Pete Galbert, and their methods, but I am always trying to find faster ways to get stuff done without sacrificing the strength or aesthetic of the piece.  I use only hand tools on the seat, and the spindles, but I have found a different way to cut the cove that is located on the back posts on some of my rockers. 

Below you can see the cove I'm talking about.  I can and have done this with a drawknife, and if I am not in a hurry, I enjoy that method.  But sometimes the clock is ticking.



So I use my jointer to cut the cove all the way down the post.  The vertical line on my fence to the left is used to change the knives, so ignore that one for now.  The line to the right represents the line where the cut ends, and this is the important one.


I should point out that is VERY DANGEROUS!  I do it and feel reasonably comfortable doing it, this post is more how I do it rather then a suggestion that you should do it this way.   It is a big cut,  about 3/8" in one shot, so I am very careful.  But it does work, the cove is perfect.  You can see the line on the piece that then lines up with the aforementioned line on the fence.



And here's what happens to the pieces that don't come out right, in this case I mis-marked the line on the piece.  Does a great job holding up the tomato cage though.  Great year for my tomatoes, and zucchini, more on that to come.







No comments:

Post a Comment