Tuesday, October 9, 2012

New Chair and Fall Colors


“We are torn between nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange. As often as not, we are homesick most for the places we have never known.”

--Carson McCullers





Here is my latest chair, a Comb Back with a built up rail and a shield seat rather than an oval seat.
I got the wood for the turning from a piece of maple destined for the firewood pile and it was a really sweet log.


Here you can see the built up arm.  The arm is 1 1/8" thick and 7/8" wide, which makes it a tough bend.   A strap (yes I use a strap) helps to give a little extra torque.  The arm portion is then cut away and scraped smooth.  Finally the little cove you see is chopped out.


Above you can see the seat and arms, and the carved knuckles, as well as the swelled spindles.


The carved ear and knuckle. 





Finally took some time to go for a hike with my daughter.  The leaves are just a little past peak, but there is still plenty of color.


We climbed Haystack Mountain located in Mapleton, about 5 miles from my house.  It's a short hike to some fantastic views.  The rangers have done a great job making the trail more accessible, putting in these cool stairs with rocks.


Almost to the top..


View looking south at Squapan Mountain with Squapan Lake to the right.


Below is the view south-west with Mt. Katahdin just left of center, the northern terminus on the Appalachian Trail.  Katahdin is tough, long climb so for now we'll stick to Haystack.  As I said, the leaves are a little past peak, but even so the views are incredible around this neck of the woods.















9 comments:

  1. That first photo of your chair stopped me in my tracks. It's so refined as to be barely there. It takes in and inhabits the space around it. Lovely details as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I had intended to put bracing spindles on the back, but visually I prefer the look without them. Thanks again..

      Delete
  2. Nice chair and a real nice looking Paint job. Milk Paint red and black?

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, black on red milk paint. I put the black on pretty thin so it reads more red/brown than black. I also use Old Fashioned, I find you can do more with it regarding sanding. Thank, btw..

      Delete
  3. You're making me nostalgic for Mapleton. Lovely trip up Haystack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice climb, and the weather was perfect. I'll send you a pic in January, then maybe you'll come back to your senses! Better views up here than downstate, I think. Take care,

      ps I'll send you pics of ppl ice fishing, in January!

      Delete
  4. As usual, an amazing chair! Great work, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry,

    You never cease to amaze me! That chair is awesome!!! Hope you're staying busy and things have picked up since the last time I talked to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Matt, thanks, it's been forever..how have you been?

    ReplyDelete