Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fast Logs


“Tell him yes. Even if you are dying of fear, even if you are sorry later, because whatever you do, you will be sorry all the rest of your life if you say no.” 
― Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera






Hopefully my first and last post ever using my phone but I dropped and broke my laptop and got another one I hate so until I get a new one..guess I'm stuck with this. And I have have no idea how to turn off the underline.   At any rate, I picked up some gorgeous logs today.  They had a lot of logs in their yard today so I picked a good day.



As I said they had a lot of logs to chose from so I got a couple of really nice ones.  Just a few thoughts on what I look for.

I like watching Roy Underhill and he said something awhile back something  that I have been thinking about and I have determined he is right.   I used to buy fast growing ash logs with wide growth rings because they are simply easier to work with a drawknife, that is to say the lines are easier to see and follow.  I never really thought too much about it being stronger. The common folk lore is that slow growing trees are stronger.

Well, Roy's claim is dead on. Fast growing ring porous wood is stronger. The growth bands seen in a fast growing tree have much more solid wood and less honeycomb late wood..as a result there is more solid wood and less honey comb wood structure.  While slow growing wood with more rings per inch may be lighter, for a chair this is exactly what you don't want.   You want, and I only buy fast growing ash with wide growth rings.

Otherwise, see below.  This was also the result of too many chairs at once and pieces getting mixed up, but honestly the post broke with not much effort. Lesson learned. Two actually...buy fast growing logs and label better.

Now if I could turn the underline off...



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting anyway; your information is just as valuable. How about an ipad? Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting anyway; your thoughts are always valuable. Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used an Apple laptop for a long while and loved it. And my PC laptop wasn't bad til I dropped it. Got a Google chromebook but the picture upload is a pia workaround. I'd love an ipad but prob get another PC base laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note that Roy's master's degree was something like wood technology; he's not just a pretty face who cuts himself for our amusement!

    ReplyDelete