Monday, October 12, 2015

Fan back



With destruction comes renovation

Wally Lamb





Here are some professional pics I had done a while back.  I am slowly building my website back up from these pics and others.  The link is at the bottom.  And two pics down is the side view of a rocker that went to Rockland, Maine.  The color is black and Lexington green mixed together over mustard yellow.  I also have a similar chair at a gallery in Portland, Maine.







This seat is for a Nantucket fan back that I recently sold.  I don't build a lot of fanbacks and I can't remember the last oval seat I did.  The oval seat are typically seen on fan backs, sack backs and some comb backs.  They are easier to carve as the grain runs (typically) left to right and the seat lacks the coves on the side.  This one has a tail piece that will house two additional spindles. I'm not a huge fan of tail spindles.  Structurally they do little if anything for the chair and visually I don't like how they break up the back.  But some customers like them and it's an order so I'm more than willing to do it.






Here you can see the side view.  I'll get better pics as the chair progresses but I was thinking when I first started building I would by all my turnings.  Over the years I have gotten to the point where I can now do all my own turnings. Point is these are very complicated turnings so it reminds me how far I have come over the years.



No comments:

Post a Comment