Monday, December 27, 2010

Fairness cont'd


Here's two pics that get to what I was talking about regarding fairness.  These are two arm stumps I turned today for a fan back, and while they look the same, they are not.  But once the chair is done and painted, no one, not even me, could tell.  When I started learning to turn, I drove myself crazy with all these exact measures, got very confusing and frustrating. Now I have some patterns that I use so the measures are the same end to end, but as for the diameter or shape, as long as it looks good, it is good.  This all comes with good basics, and practice, practice, practice.  You learn to trust your eye, and realize that the turnings don't have to be (and shouldn't be) exact copies.  As long as they look fair, they are fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment