Thursday, December 30, 2010

Proper froe

 This drawing shows why it is so important to split in equal mass.  I think of it this way---if you have four people pushing you one way, and one person pushing you the other,  you will move in the direction of the one.  Same with trying to split unequal portions,  you have more wood (people) pushing in one direction than the other, and as a result the split will shift across the grain, and split off a small, uneven piece.  Next post I'll show how a brake and froe can help, but really the key is to split equally, it just makes everything easier.
Here's a shot of the good froe on the left.  It is roughly teardrop shaped, rather wide and narrow.  The one on the right is the store bought one, too thick and way too chisel shaped.  I worked it over with a angle grinder, and it helped, but you really can't make a pig sing.  Look for an old one, or try a new one from someone like Barr Tools or Drew Langsner.  They are dearly priced, but at least they are shaped correctly.  I haven't tried either, but if I hadn't gotten the old one, I probably would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment