Sunday, November 6, 2011

Shaker Boxes


Here are some Shaker boxes I've been making.  Above are some in Birds-eye Maple, sizes 4 thru 0 bottom to top.   These boxes were, believe it or not, were original tupperware.



 The band bottoms are cut into fingers, the number depends on the size, and the both the top and bottom bands are boiled and bent around forms.  Then I use oval shaped pieces to hold the shape while the bands dry.


 Then the bands are held with copper tacks, bent over to form a single leg staple.


The lids and bottoms are carefully sanded to fit, and then held in place with wooden pegs.


 


Then the boxes are sanded and either finished with milk paint or Danish oil.  Then a wax coat and done.


 Here you can see how the boxes nest together.  One thing I like to do is when I paint with milk paint, I mix and paint right off.  This allows the paint to have different tones and it gives the box some texture.

 Here are some boxes in Cherry, sizes 4 thru 0.


 A #4 Cherry Swing handle


 4 thru 0









 




















 This box is called a spit-box.  It's round and made of red birch, which mellows to a lovely yellowish red.



I really do enjoy making these boxes.  I like the fact that there is no glue, just tacks and pegs.  I'm gonna do a post soon where I will build a #3 with a divided tray in the top that could serve as a jewelry box, or troll bead box.

As for prices, the smallest ones, the 0,  are around $30 and the #4 is about $50.  The Birds-eye is a little more, and the swing handle #4's are $85 in Cherry.  Just email for more info.  I think the jewelry boxes are gonna be around $85.  Be sure to order early if you want them for Christmas.


Note:  I gotta give credit to Connie Gagnon for the pictures she has been taking for me.  These pics are amazing, as are all her photos.  She does not give herself enough credit.











No comments:

Post a Comment