Sunday, July 8, 2012

Bread Board Ends, Part 2


"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.”
-W.B. Yeats




I've been building tables with breadboards for years now and had usually used full on mortise and tenon along with what amounts to a spline.  It works, and is traditional, but to cut the tenons on a large panel is tricky and time consuming.


I tried then using a Domino, just that but I felt the floating tenons were a little too small, so I now use a different method that uses Domino floating tenons and screws.  Above you can see the mortises cut but not all the way thru.  I leave about 3/4" at the side that contacts the panel.


Above you can see the Domino's that only serve to line the pieces up.  I do glue them into the panel, but not the breadboard.


Here you can see the mortises with the screw holes drilled and slotted out on the backside ( the part that goes against the panel).   Another view below.


 Then line the breadboards up, clamp, and mark the screw holes.  Remove and pre-drill the holes, then finally drive the screws in with a little wax.  I used gold star drive screws, but I think 2 1/2" pocket hole screws would be a better choice.  You may not even have to pre-drill them.


Then cut and mill some plugs to fill the mortise and a little glue then tap them in.  Below, you can see the finished table end.  It really pulls the breadboard tight, and still allows the panel to move with the seasonal changes in humidity.




2 comments:

  1. Great job, Terry and it works! Too bad I gave up furniture making a long time ago... it's a wonderful technique.

    Wilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilson, I like traditional m&t, but this does work, I think better than m&t, quicker anyway...

      Delete