Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Nice Legs


Here are some, most actually, of the legs I turn for various legs.  From the top down--baluster, Philadelphia, modified Philly ( used sometimes as the back legs ) vase, bamboo, and lastly  double bobbin.  All the legs are turned from green, split maple.  The legs stock is split so the grain end to end, this results in a much stronger leg.  Factory legs are made from sawed stock, and as a result often the grain runs out, resulting in a broken leg.


Here are the legs that don't pass muster, my daughter paints them (sparkly pink and sparkly purple, nice job, I'd say.  This way I don't feel so bad about screwing one up.  Watching my daughter learn to skate ( she's 5) reminded me of when I learned to turn.  I fell down a lot, and most days I felt I blew more details than not, but I kept practicing and falling, and practicing and falling.  And while I still fall every now and then, it's a lot less then before.  Like I said, turning can be a frustrating skill to master, but so is skating.  Just keep at it, you'll be doing a triple lutz before long.  And if you can't do it, contact me and maybe I can help you out.  Keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment