Sunday, June 5, 2011

Wintergreen Arts Show


Here's a side chair with a different finish, clear this time.  A lot of people ask me for these or if I do something unpainted, so here it is.  I did a sack back settee like this a few years ago, but this one is my design.  Like any new chair, the first one is never really right.  But with chairs, you never really know what they will sit like until it's done. 


 This one has a few things I'll change on the next ones.  First, the front legs will move back, more under the seat and with less rake.  And the back spindles are just a little too upright, a couple degrees more rake there will make the chair more comfortable.   I am really happy with the way the seat came out.  The figure and color are beautiful, and the shape is very pleasing to my eye. 
When I say rake and splay, these refer to the way the legs, arms and spindles lean back or forward and also how they lean to the side.  Just like masts on ships, rake refers to the tilt of parts forward and backward.  Splay (or flare) refers to the lean to the side. 


Here are the pieces I took to the show at Wintergreen Arts for my show Friday.  Below you see a walnut wall cabinet with a tombstone glass door and a Shaker clock. 



 The blanket chest is new, really came out great.
 
Here is the unfinished side chair.  I'm calling it the Allagash Side Chair, and behind it a Linen Press painted mustard yellow.  And on the right is the Rod Back Arm Chair I made for my father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment